some people have the oddest questions

this was a question of the D&D website's feature "save my game"

"My games have been bogging down recently due to what I believe is my players’ uncanny ability to focus on the mundane. For example, when I established a base of operations for the group, two hours later they were still arguing over whether to hire skilled or unskilled labor to fix the place up. Another time I designed a goblin mook for an encounter, and made the mistake of naming it. My players kept on slowing down the game to discuss the fate of this obviously important NPC. How do I get them to stop going off into these annoying tangents?"

Dude! If your players spend two hours talking about how to set up their base of operations or use all of their headspace pondering the fate of a throw off NPC? You just won the game. I mean seriously, not only have you won thos round, but you were just handed the lever that is going to let you build the next one with a minimal amount of work from you and a maximal amount of involvement from them.

If they focus so hard on the workers? Time to have a plot involving one of them. Maybe a thief gets the layout of the base from one of the people that they spent so much time worrying about. Maybe they picked the unskilled labor and now the guilds of the city are up in arms that they didn't use guild labor.

As for the goblin? "Hello, My Name is Inigo Montoya. You Killed My Father: Prepare to Die!"

Any adventure that ends with me having almost all of my prepared materials still unused? It is a win.

No comments: