Blog Archive

I really wish that my library had two hold request levels. I'd like to be able to put in a hold that didn't remove the other person's ability to renew the book. There are a lot of cases where I'm in no hurry to check the book out, but I don't want to miss it when it does come in. I'd be happy to wait an extra checkout period or two, but I still want it to go into my stack when it comes back to the library.

This is similar to how I wish that Livejournal had two different levels of watching. Friending someone gives them a number of permissions I don't necessarily want to give to everyone whose journal I read. (Well, actually I don't really care, but I can see situations where I would want to follow someone's LJ without them being able to read even my basic level locked posts, and I know I could implement that by having a second tier of private posts, but I shouldn't have to. I love web 2.0 applications, but damnit, they still tend to have an air of kludge about them.)

No comments: