Blog Archive

So, Steven Brust just posted his Firefly Fan Fic Novel. It is under a CC BA NC ND license.

I have to admit that I've only read Aygar out of his stack of books, but the it mostly because I want to read his Taltos books in order an my library didn't have the first couple.
I have to admit that, knowing nothing about him I was unfairly supprised at Mr. Brust doing this. Pure ageism on my part, but he has been publishing since 83. I expect neat CC releases from the current generation of authors, the ones between about 5 years younger than I am and 10 years older (E. Bear, J. Scalzi, C. Doctorow, etc) than I am, but the folks who I sort of think of as the old guard? Not as much. Of course, this is silly and it ignores things I know about a number of authors who have been writing since well before I was born, but it still one of my unexamined assumptions. (Hell, several of my favorite authors who fit distinctly into the old guard by date started with fan fic, and I know this, because I love reading the essays that they write about how they got to be where they are. Apparently I was exercizing my ability to hold two contradictory ideas at the same time.)

Well, all of that aside, follow the link, download the book, mirror it if you can.

No comments: