*sighs*

venting spleen
My brother is a dipshit.
I just found out that because he is impatienthe's been doing hard shutdowns on my computer. I could have kicked him in the teeth for that. I'm running w2000, one of the NT kernel OSes. The great thing about w2k is that there is almost never a need for a hard shutdown. I've had to do it less than a dozen times in three years. Now if I was running a 9x os there wouldn't be a real problem (other than the fact I was running 9x) since it requires a hard shutdown fairly frequently and is set up so that won't damage anything. 2000 is set up so that you shouldn't need to do one ever (I'm a bad influence on my computer.) The problem here is that a hard shutdown for nt can screw up systems files (on the order of a 1 in 10 chance.) Well, I've seen the system repair stuff happen during startup at least 3 times in the last two weeks.
So I told him to shut my computer down properly or not use it at all. He said to get rid of the soundfile at the end (a 20 second clip of lina casting a dragonslave) or to get my computer out of "his" (our) room. I am seriously considering turning on the secuity options for both of my OSes so he has to ask me to let him on. I'd take my computer out in a heart beat if there was anywhere else in the house to put it. I can't put it in the garage (hot and wet and cold and wet aren't good for the electronics), and mom is usuing all of the counter and table space in the rest of the house for her photography. I swear, if he pushis this, I'm going to take all of my electronics outof our room including my television and my vcr (the pair of which he is addicted to.) It would be really sad watching him go through withdrawl when he can't get his shows (they don't come in on the big tv for some reason.)

/venting spleen

*edit* 8:34 am
I should get rid of that soundfile and hunt down my 1993 copy of encarta and put some of its sound files in key positions. I used to have their discssions of wave partical duality and of photosynthesis for my windows startup and shutdown sounds on my Dos box. (We're talking 5 or 6 minute discussions here. It ate up a huge portion of the Dos box's hard drive.)
Currently my computer doesn't make a lot of noise, but I am strongly considering changing that. Using 5 second sound clips for every action. I think I still have popeguilty's shitty the cricket file. I've got my (short) potatoe file. I can come up with other long and annoying things to put in the main setup (which will of course have system changes locked.) The best part is that I can have my own login with my regular sound set. *evil grin*

No comments: