Yet another rather late update.

It was a good weekend. I got the mowing done just before the grass would have gotten tall enough to cause some real major problems. I've been taking apart pieces of the mulberry tree and using the branhces to build tings. I've put a sunshade over all of the dogwoods and some of them are already doing better for it. I've finally decided where to plant the little pea plants, but I want to wait for some cool time to do it. The brocciflower should go into the ground soon too. I also wove a trellis from parts of the mulberry tree. That was fun, but this one was mostly a test of concept piece. I'm going to need a longer one for the pea plants.
Mom and I were talking. Our back yard has a distinct lack of treeage. (Well, there is the mulberry, and the catalpa that we've let grow up for some bizzare reason, and the oak that we never expected to be here to see grow into a full sized tree, and a couple of box elders that come down next time I feel productive, but that's it.) And we were trying to decide on trees to put there. I remembered where to find some paw paws in the wild that we could plant under the oak, and mom suggested maybe asking someone for some weaping willow fronds to try to root (actually, you have to try to get them not to root usually.) I'm going to run another idae past her. I'm wondering if she has any friends who have grape vines. Not concord or any of the wine/jelly grapes, but something pleasantly sweet and purple or red that we can grow along the side fence.

I'm also thinking of going out looking for some wild rubus vines (don't care what species) It'd be neat to get a berry patch going, and maybe plant a couple adult vines around the light pole out front so shep doesn't try to dig it out.

Hee hee, I can see it now. The backyard turns into a forest with a massive blackberry infestation. No more mowing ever!

After I get a job, I'm going to come back here and do some serious landscaping of the leave it alone variety. If we can get some decent shade in the back yard, we could even get some trillium and ferns growing back there!

I got an e-mail from Aundree a couple of days ago. It's good to hear from those who have made it out of this place. Sort of an affirmation that it is possible. *chuckles* Well, it was good to hear from you anyway.

Got a reply from the Academic Honors job. They said no, but mentioned that there was another position open that I could apply for if I wanted. I'm going to call them and say yes and mail off a modified application letter today.

No comments: