Blog Archive

Hee hee

Well, the big news for today is that I haven't written anything at all. I did plant some of the trees mom brought home. I wish that I had taken a closer look at the elms before today. They had been "harvested" by someone who grabbed them and pulled them out by the roots. When I got to them, many of them had dead leaves and almost none of them had good roots. I planted the 10 or 12 best and I'll take a closer look at the remaining ones tomorrow to see if I can't do something to save some of them. I also planted a bunch of dogwoods that mom brought home yesterday. I got seven of ten in the ground today (I ran out of space.) I'll probably pot them. The nice thing about the dogwoods is that mom took them out of the ground herself with a spade so they have functional root systems. It looks like the wildflower seeds I scattered all over the inaccessable parts of the yard are starting to sprout! I'm hoping that mom doesn't notice the ones among her irises until they flower.
I need to slow down on watering the raspberries soon. I think they are well enough established that they don't need water every day and if I let them dry out occasionally they will be more likely to send out good root sets (in search of water.) On the other hand, since the elms hardly have roots at all, they get watered at least daily.

Oi. Mom bought some topsoil this morning. At least that's what the bag said. I think they put the wrong stuff in the bag. I wish I had been there this morning, I may have been able to tell. I thought it smelled funny when I was taking it out of the trunk. I'm pretty sure from the smell and the texture that the "top soil" was actually the manuer compost mix that they sell. I ended up having to do more work to use it than I would have with the topsoil. Oh well.

No comments: